I just finished a project this week for Sailor Venus. She needed a Chinese qi pao for a wedding. It wasn't a Chinese wedding, in fact it was completely opposite. The wedding was culturally diverse and the bride asked guests to come dressed in the clothing of their culture.
I don't have pictures because we were in a rush, but I'll give you some fun tidbits.
Here is the fabric I choose. The right side and it's reverse is equally beautiful. I had a hard time choosing, but I finally decided on the gray side with black flowers. Since she was going to a wedding I didn't want her to go in black. I also really liked the design since it isn't overtly Asian even if the design is a qi pao. Nor was the fabric shimmery and glittery which was one of Sailor Venus' requirements. I guess she didn't want to be the gaudy Asian with a fully sequin dress. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be gaudy, I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Sailor Venus didn't have time to do a fitting so I only had one chance to get this dress right. It's my first time taking measurements of a person and taking it to a pattern. For class, we usually fit a dressfrom and whoever fit the dress would model it. But then how did I fit Grip N Flip in her dresses you ask. She is dressfrom size so I don't have to do major measurements or alternations to fit her in any of my patterns.
It was exciting and scary to do it this way. Of course I can always take things or let things out. But she was flying out right away and I wouldn't have much time. It would be easier if I was able to fit her perfectly the first time.
It was a slow and tedious process, since I don't have very much experience. But the good news is that it fit her EXACTLY. It was very flattering and extremely tight. She said that it's corset like. But who needs to breathe when you look beautiful. And if you know me, you'll know how ironic that phrase is coming from me.
I also got to try my hand at Chinese Frog Buttons again. I don't know if they're considered Frog Buttons, feel free to correct me. I had a better idea of what I needed to do this time around. It also helped that I wasn't using a limpy wimpy fabric like silk. If you don't know what I'm taking about please refer to Chinese Empire Gown.
Parts of the button design are taken from several other buttons that I admire and other parts of it were free handed, letting the button tell me where it wanted to go. I'm thinking of making some themed buttons, for example clouds, butterflies, flowers, or even animals. I'll have to see where the wind of inspiration takes before I say anything else.
I have a lot of fabric left over. I bought extra just in case, but I have more than I anticipated. I bought 3 yards but I only used 1 1/2 yards. I guess it also helps that the fabric is 60" wide, More bang for my buck. I'm thinking of making a boustie with the left overs using both sides of the fabric. But yet again I better let the wind of inspiration take me there before I make any plans.
Friday, October 16, 2009
Qi Pao
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment