Saturday, June 20, 2009

I'm still alive . . . sort of

Finals were yesterday and I finally turned in my last project. I'm too tired to even do a dance of joy. I think this school year has been a little hellish for me. With my job hours (graveyard) mixed with school, I was a lacking in every department. I'm usually a better student, but this year has been tough. I keep questioning if that good student in me still existed. I was unmotivated and didn't want to sew most of the time.

Hopefully, over the summer I will have time to get myself straightened out and ready to go for the Fall semester.

Now the question is what have I been up to all semester.

I took two classes this semester, the Advanced Sewing class and Flat Pattern Drafting class.

In the Advanced Sewing class we had to sew a cocktail dress and a soft tailored women's jacket. Where are the pictures you ask? I don't have any yet, but I promise to post them when I do get them

For the cocktail dress we were given creative freedom to do what we liked as long as it fit into the category "cocktail dress". I made mine into Grip N Flip's Prom dress. I even did her hair. It's a surprised even me that it turned out so beautifully. Her make-up . . was another story. Someone better versed in arts of womenhood had to help her with that. I don't mean her mom either, she's also a hopeless case.

As for the women's jacket I turned it in yesterday and won't get it back till the middle of summer or next semester. Right at this moment I never want to see or hear about welt pockets, bound button holes, fully lined, soft tailored jackets again!! If you don't know any of these terms I will explain them in my jacket post when I do get it back.

Flat Pattern Drafting Class, for those of you who don't know what that is, there are two ways to create patterns for clothing; draping and flat drafting. Draping on a form, which I took last semester, is where you place cloth on a dressform and manipulate the fabric to the style you want to create. Flat pattern drafting is where you take measurements of the form and convert it to lines on paper and hopefully a correct pattern. I'm not sure if I can explain it any more simply than that. I only had to sew up one dress for Flat Pattern Drafting. It was my final and it was a disaster. This I can get pictures of but I'm so despondent with it right now I don't want to look. Your thinking how bad can it be . . . . think of the worse case scenario and multiply by 20. But I promise to post it sometime this summer. Just for the sake of showing my fashion progression.

I hope you all enjoyed just a wordy update with no pictures.

2 comments:

Sew Shy said...

Your semester is over!!! I'm sorry you're not feeling so good about all your final projects, but think how much you've learned! I'm jealous. I totally want to learn how to do welt pockets and bound buttonholes. I tried a sample welt pocket once, and it didn't turn out so well. Now that you're done with school, time to schedule a get-together, no?

Spork said...

I'm so up for a get together!!! When we have some time to have sewing day, I wouldn't mind showing you guys welt pockets and bound button holes.