Saturday, February 28, 2009

African Fabrics

Here are some fabrics that I picked up from Togo, West Africa a few years ago (around 2007 . . I think).

I love all the vibrant colors. The hard part was remembering that my skin tone CAN NOT pull off neon green and yellow in an African print.

The red fabric I had to lay open so you can see the whole print a little better. And my FAVORITES are the blue and brown fabric of women pounding fufu (bottom right). OMG makes me want to eat some fufu right now!!! I bought it because of that image.

These are traditional fabrics that are used only in special occasions and obviously a little more expensive. My friend had bought me one of the blue ones. I ended up buying another blue one and a green one. They're sooooooo pretty.

I think my only problem is figuring out what I'm going to do with all these fabrics. I'm open for ideas!!!!

3 comments:

GripNFlip said...

Fufu pounding! hahaha

I really like the shiny ones.
They remind me of your blue bag, too.

Sew Shy said...

The endless dilemma - I have quite a few pieces of fabric from home too, but am so scared of ruining it! Oh, and I wasn't able to get the stickers off my yellow fabric. I'll have to try soaking it like Aminat and Sherril suggested. Sigh...

marcia said...

these are so pretty and unique. The right project will come along and the fabric will speak to you....too zen?